A couple of years ago, I had picked up some wooden ship models that were on sale at a craft store. I didn't really have a plan for them when I bought them and so they sat until recently. I saw online online that converted the same models into 16th century galleys. Since I've been building up some 16th century armies, including a unit of the Knights of Malta, this gave me an idea for a use for the models; I converted them to the galleys below. I don't make any claims to them being even remotely accurate reproductions but they were very cheap to produce. I think I paid about $5 for each of the models and just used some wood and other scraps I had lying around.
This was base model for the first ship, a galliot for the Knights of Malta.
Here's the conversion. I did not put in the midships superstructure and placed new decking along the length of the ship. The forecastle was built up from balsa wood and some spare plastic fencing. The oars were from another cheap wooden model, this was of a Roman galley that I used for a different project and didn't need the oars. I used some plastic fencing for the railings.
I used the same technique as with the smaller galley. The awning is simply a piece of cardboard.